January 7th, 2021
Today, Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health announced that school closures and distance learning will continue for elementary schools through Friday, January 22 to help limit the spread of COVID-19. No changes for secondary students have been announced. All elementary and secondary students are now scheduled to return to in-person learning on Monday, January 25.
At this time, we do not know if the closure will be extended beyond January 22nd, but we will keep our school communities informed as information is available.
We can confirm the following:
- Students will continue to learn remotely
- Students, who are enrolled in the in-person mode of learning are scheduled to return to in-person learning on January 25
- In-person learning opportunities for students with complex Special Education needs is planned to begin as early as Monday, January 11 – confirmation details will be provided as soon as possible
- Educators will continue to engage with students and families both synchronously and asynchronously during the closure
- This closure includes all before and after school programs (Extended Day Programs)
- Families registered in WRDSB operated programs will not be charged fees during this time
- Families registered in childcare centres located in WRDSB schools should contact their provider directly for information on program operation
We know our students, families and staff continue to have questions; we are working with our education partners and will update you as we learn more. Our students miss their schools, classrooms, friends and the staff that help them learn each day – we miss them too.
Thank you to the WRDSB families, students and staff for your continued patience and flexibility.
We will continue to provide updates as information from the Ministry of Education becomes available. For information and updates, please refer to these resources: